Wednesday 3 January 2018

Curated Quilts Minimalist Challenge (a finish)

Hello and Happy New Year!

I had a marvelous break that felt much longer than it actually was and I’m back feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the challenges of 2018.

When I was thinking about maybe setting some goals for 2018 one of the things I thought I’d like to have a go at is the Curated Quilts mini challenges. I also have a long list of quilt tops to be finished. I want to improve my fabric selection in my blocks and I’m doing a bit of Pinterest study to that end J. Also use my stash – I have a Pavlovian response to the words ‘fabric sale’ and I might have gone a touch nuts at Thanksgiving. This is half of what I bought. On the up side I love it all so that’s a bonus.


I decided that I need to make 10 quilt tops before I’m allowed to buy any more fabric and that lasted till yesterday when the local fabric shop had 50% off.

Anyway enough blathering, the latest CuratedQuilts Mini Challenge was announced just before Christmas giving me a little extra time to play about and ta da this is what I can show for it.


While the other entries I’ve seen have used more of the available colours for their challenges I’ve chosen to go with black and pale grey. I have no excuse for this since I had all the colours in my stash.

I was sure I was going to mess this up somewhere and it came pretty close size-wise since it finishes smack on the minimum at 10 inches square. Next time I’ll start bigger and trim.
The little strips are ¼ inch wide so I paper pieced that section and matchstick quilted it in random widths. One resolution ticked off already!

Happy sewing
Sue


10 comments:

  1. What a cool challenge! I've not heard of it so I'll go check it out. Me, I'm a color girl so I probably would have used all the colors in the challenge, but I really like this with it's simplicity! Simply beautiful. The matchstick quilting was a perfect choice. Thanks so much for linking to Wednesday Wait Loss. I'm so glad to have you back after your break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fun little quilt. Admire your ability to jump in and create. It seems that break was a good thing and look forward to seeing your burst of creativity continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the Curated Quilt mini challenges! You did a fantastic mini and I do love that you used two colors...or not colors! I don't know about you, but I was totally into this Minimal Mini...obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that a minimal palette works well with the theme. Congratulations on a finish already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think just using the two colors was a great idea....very minimalist. Those are some beautiful fabrics in the first picture. I do not blame you at all for not saying no to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1/2 inch thick--I love it. I love grays in quilts and I like the color you chose, not a in-your-face grey. I lean towards using 1-1/2" blocks, etc. in my quilts, I like the way it looks. Congrats on your finish; I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it -- what a fun block! You have some good goals ahead, but I had to chuckle about the fabric acquisition. I'm telling myself no more fabric this year and I'm doing great so far, because I haven't been near any fabric stores. Hehe. Once I step foot in one, all bets will be off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the simplicity - you nailed the minimalism!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you are so funny, Pavlovian response indeed hehe! Lovely little mini quilt and the monochrome colour way is perfect. Congratulations on your lovely finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the finish, I love the very minimalist look to the design.

    ReplyDelete