Wednesday, 17 January 2018

Wayward Transparency Quilt Top


It’s time to link up our quilt and quilt top finishes for the Wayward Transparency Quilt along.


This is mine. It turned out pretty well in the end, after taking out and replacing my original fabric choice in the ‘darker’ sections. I think the scale of the prints makes it difficult to see the transparency effect. Yvonne warned me about it and I should have listened.


The layout of the blocks is the result of a mistake I made in sewing them together and it's one I'm more than happy to have made.


The blocks have been down-sized from the original pattern and I also used flip and sew techniques to avoid too many seams through the daisy print. Changing the fabric in the overlay section after piecing the blocks meant that I was able to slip half square triangle sections in making me look outstandingly clever ;-).


The finished size is 30 inches square and I’ve photographed it hanging on my garden shed using whiteboard magnets. Nifty! Now to find other places to use them...


Happy sewing
Sue


Wednesday, 3 January 2018

Curated Quilts Minimalist Challenge (a finish)

Hello and Happy New Year!

I had a marvelous break that felt much longer than it actually was and I’m back feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the challenges of 2018.

When I was thinking about maybe setting some goals for 2018 one of the things I thought I’d like to have a go at is the Curated Quilts mini challenges. I also have a long list of quilt tops to be finished. I want to improve my fabric selection in my blocks and I’m doing a bit of Pinterest study to that end J. Also use my stash – I have a Pavlovian response to the words ‘fabric sale’ and I might have gone a touch nuts at Thanksgiving. This is half of what I bought. On the up side I love it all so that’s a bonus.


I decided that I need to make 10 quilt tops before I’m allowed to buy any more fabric and that lasted till yesterday when the local fabric shop had 50% off.

Anyway enough blathering, the latest CuratedQuilts Mini Challenge was announced just before Christmas giving me a little extra time to play about and ta da this is what I can show for it.


While the other entries I’ve seen have used more of the available colours for their challenges I’ve chosen to go with black and pale grey. I have no excuse for this since I had all the colours in my stash.

I was sure I was going to mess this up somewhere and it came pretty close size-wise since it finishes smack on the minimum at 10 inches square. Next time I’ll start bigger and trim.
The little strips are ¼ inch wide so I paper pieced that section and matchstick quilted it in random widths. One resolution ticked off already!

Happy sewing
Sue