Wednesday 18 May 2016

Long Tall Jack


I'm a sucker for a large scale floral and a long-time fan of Jane Sassaman’s work, so when I saw the indigo ‘Prairie Chic Meadow Mix’ fabric, well… I had to buy it. And if it’s a large scale print there’s not much point buying only a small scrap amiright? It had to be yardage.



Once in my hot little hands I spent time stroking it lovingly, laying it out on my bed so I could see it in all its loveliness and  whispering to it “Aah beautiful fabric, you are too gorgeous to be relegated to just a back. You, my pretty, must be the star…” and the perfect pattern idea had to be the often drooled over Double Fat Jack quilt by Lyn at Lily’s Quilts (tutorial here).


I wanted it to be throw size so I got the calculator out and cranked the size up to 54" x 70". Actually it should’ve been bigger but I needed extra length for the diagonal strips and having already cut the fabric and with no extra left over... I had to make the central cross narrower.



A good idea is worth doing at least twice so I bought some more and whipped one up for my sister as well. And whipped up is the operative word here - they are fast to put together!



They’re both straight line quilted – you can see the detail better on the backs, the String Quartet flimsy for my more floral version.



And a large scale Wonky Plus block version for my sister.


I’m linking up to Sew Cute Tuesday at Blossom Heart Quilts, Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation and Fabric Frenzy Friday at Fort Worth Fabric Studio

10 comments:

  1. Love your quilts and the backs are as pretty as the fronts. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fantastic, and what a wonderful way to use a big, bold print. Inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great, what a brilliant use of big floral prints! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic!! A blooming Union Jack just great!! Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree, that fabric did need to be the star of the show. But let me say the backs of both quilts are like an encore performance. They are just as pretty as the tops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun quilts! The fabrics are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to use those large prints. The pattern and the fabric compliment each other so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun quilts, love those fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you just made a large scale floral convert out of me. That print is amazing and I think you used it in a way that made it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The indigo ‘Prairie Chic Meadow Mix’ fabric sure is a beautiful fabric and you have used it to great effect in both these quilts.

    ReplyDelete